Terms and Conditions
SwinEmploy is a web-based database used by the Careers and Employability team to advertise job vacancies to students and graduates of Swinburne University of Technology. It is designed as an employer self-service facility. The Careers and Employability team is not an employment agency and does not select or recommend students for any vacancy on SwinEmploy.
We reserve the right to refuse any persons or organisations use of this service, and to alter any aspect of advertisements approved for publishing. All jobs advertisements submitted to SwinEmploy must comply with the law. Swinburne will not be a party to any arrangement you and the student enter into.
Jobs we won't advertise
We will not accept advertisements for:
- jobs that do not meet the minimum award wage
- commission only and OTE (on-target earnings) jobs
- independent contracting arrangements (self-employment)
- work offering ‘piece rates’ i.e. where payment is per product, per delivery, per sale made
- any work which requires the employee to purchase a product or service or requires a security deposit or similar as condition of employment
- work involving any illegal activity
- jobs offering profit share
- positions that do not detail a specific vacancy, or those that require applicants to register with an agency / organisation for possible future opportunities
- babysitting where students are asked to provide their own car to pick-up or drop-off
- jobs that offer any sort of “board in exchange” arrangement where the student receives accommodation as payment for work performed
- business and franchise ownership opportunities
- jobs where applicants are asked to submit business ideas (intellectual property) to apply
- overseas internship / voluntary opportunities that require the applicants to pay any fees or cover on their own expense
- overseas ESL (English as a Second Language) teaching jobs
- positions with employers who we deem to be unethical
- any other job that in the opinion of Swinburne, offends the University’s mission, objects, principles or values.
For paid positions, a salary range, either hourly or annual, must be provided. If award rates are listed, the relevant award code must be provided. For information on pay rates and awards visit the
Fair Work Ombudsman website.
Internships, work placements and voluntary work
We are unable to promote unpaid internships and unpaid work experiences to our students, unless the role is undertaken as a vocational placement or voluntary work in a registered not-for-profit organisation adhering to the guidelines of Volunteering Australia. Employers must provide evidence of appropriate insurance which specifically covers volunteers.
For more information refer to the
Fair Work Ombudsman fact sheet on student placements.
Withdrawal of advertisements
Swinburne reserves the right to withdraw or refuse any advertisement where:
- non-compliance of these terms and conditions has occurred
- misleading or incorrect information has been provided
- complaints about the advertiser have been received
- the job opportunity is considered to be inappropriate
- the behaviour of the employer is deemed by Swinburne to be unethical.
Swinburne is not liable to users and recruiters in respect of any loss or damage (including consequential loss or damage) which may arise directly or indirectly in respect of services supplied by Swinburne.
Advertisers agree to indemnify Swinburne and its staff against all claims, action, suits, costs and expenses incurred on any account by Swinburne as a result of their advertisement.
Swinburne does not recommend or endorse any organisation or service providers featured on SwinEmploy.
Employers agree that the information they provide in their advertisement is accurate and complete and contains information that is compliant with the law.
Use of data
We may use the employer’s email address to:
- provide updates on our services and SwinEmploy
- clarify vacancy details, when necessary
- undertake labour market research.
We will not disclose personal information to third parties without your consent.
The Careers and Employability team approves all submitted job advertisements before making them available to students and graduates. These are processed Monday to Friday from 9.00 am and 5pm, except for university, national and Victorian public holidays.
Swinburne University Privacy statement and collection notice.